Chris Baz with Eco Products Maui, who has years of experience installing and maintaining catchment systems on Maui, has offered protocols on safe water storage for RLW prevention.
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources at University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa has published Guidelines on Rainwater Catchment in Hawaii by Patricia S. Macomber, including information on:
1. Water collection—how to catch the water, how much water you need
2. Water storage—what to keep it in
3. Catchment system maintenance—identifying problems, keeping the tank clean
4. Water treatment—sources of water contamination, principles of water treatment
5. Water testing—keeping tabs on water quality
6. Fire fighting concerns